Steel is the most recycled material on the planet, more than all other materials combined because it is strong and durable. Steel uses a lot of energy to make, but the good news is that it can be recycled over and over again.
So by recycling, a lot of energy can be saved by not mining at all! Steel is easy to
Waste steel is melted down with limestone and iron ore. It is then poured into
How to recycle your tins and cans
Remove all packaging and wash out. This is best left to do all at once in your old washing up water instead of wasting running water just rinsing one at a time.
Read more about Recycle Michael here
Would you like our Dan The Gardener & Friends FREE Activity Book for kids packed full of colouring-in, dot to dot, word searches, recycling tips and diary sheets plus much more?
Recycling steel fun facts
Did You Know?
- 3 out of 4 cans in the UK are made of steel, which means about 15 billion cans each year!
- Each year 2 billion cans are recycled in Britain
- When steel is recycled, it can be used on cars, bridges, buildings or even another can
- It takes the same amount of energy to recycle 4 cans as it does to make just 1 in the first place!
- 450 tonnes of steel cans were recycled in Bristol alone last year
- Recycled steel is often used for pipes, ship hulls, and bike frames.
- Each household uses approximately 600 steel cans per year
- All steel
canscontain around 25% recycled steel.
How to recycle your steel cans
Steel cans being recycled by kerbside collection is increasing by over 25% every year!
Kerbside collection is becoming common practice – this is where people put their material to be recycled into their kerbside boxes/sacks or wheelie bins ready for collection.
Steel is 100% recyclable and is the easiest packaging in the world to recycle! It is also the energy-efficient metal for the production of cans! That is why steel makes the ideal packaging material for all types of food, drinks, aerosols and pet food.
Read about how to Recycle Paper
Read about how to Recycle Plastic