What Happens in Spring
It seems that spring has arrived a little early this year so here are a few interesting things I have noticed. The word Spring means to jump into action and that’s just what animals and plants do in this season.
Spring is one of my favourite seasons the days grow longer and the temperature in most areas become warmer and sunnier.
After the cold winter, it is great to see plants and flowers bloom plus trees begin to grow and reproduce growing leaves again and best of all some of my old animal friends who have been away in a hotter country or hibernating come and see me.
Not all animals hibernate in the winter some stick around like most birds. Animals hibernate in the winter because it is too cold outside. In the winter there is less food around. The berries have been and gone and some plants whose leaves provide food for creatures have lost there leaves their spring.
Here are a few mammals, reptiles and amphibians that hibernate in the winter and come out in the spring.
- Grass Snakes
- Door mice
- Roman Snails
- Smooth Newts
- Common Toads
- Common Frogs
- Smooth Snakes
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my affiliate link. Full disclosure policy here.
Animals hibernate by storing up food to store as energy. Breathing slows down and the body temperature goes down, this is so the animals can have a long rest when it is too cold to go outside. Here are some plants and animals you will see in spring.
Animals – Lambs, Hedgehogs, Badger Cubs,
Flowers – Daffodils, Snowdrops, Daisies, Bluebells,
Amphibians – Frogspawn, Tadpoles,
Insects – Wasps, Bumblebees, Butterflies, Moths,
Birds – Swallows, Blue Tits, Ducklings
Trees – Alder, Ash, Beech, Oak, Chestnut, Sycamore
This time of year is great for growing plants from seeds.
If you plant them early enough they can grow big and strong enough to go outside at the end of March. By starting early you can have some vegetables and fruits by the end of the summer/early autumn.
Interesting Springtime facts
- Spring is one of the four seasons. the others are winter, summer and autumn.
- It comes after winter and before summer.
- Spring refers to the season as well as to ideas of rebirth, rejuvenation, renewal, resurrection, and regrowth.
- Spring months are March, April and May
- When it is spring in the northern hemisphere is north of the equator it is autumn or fall in the southern hemisphere which is south of the equator
- Usually, around mid-march, the sunrise and sunset are about 12 hours apart, everywhere on the earth and the hours of daylight and night are almost equal. daylight is a little longer.
- In springtime, the days get longer and warmer.
- In April you can often get rain showers.
- Easter is in spring