Organic Kids Gardening
This is a way to grow plants without using any harmful chemicals in the garden that might damage the soil. If the soil has been damaged by chemicals is makes it harder for the plants to absorb nutrients making them an easier target for diseases and pests.
Organic gardening is much safer and better for us all. The Forest Floor is a natural composting place as all the leaves fall and other natural materials decompose. You could grow any plant organically, even edible plantings.
Growing food organically produces more nutritious food to keep you healthy. It also attracts wildlife, which would not be possible by using chemicals.
What is compost?
Compost is a nutrient-rich soil made from natural recyclable materials found in the garden and the kitchen. You can easily buy compost from a gardening shop, but making your own is so much more fun. It is made up from natural materials that break down into the soil feeding it with nutrients which in turn stabilise the ph levels in the soil. By composting you are helping the environment. You can read lots more about compost here
A few tips for kids when in the garden
- Make sure they wear old clothes, as they will get dirty.
- Set up a compost bin so they can collect leaves, grass, dandelions and all your old fruit & vegetables.
- If you don’t have a garden, children can still have their own pots or window planters.
- Let them plant something edible; this works even better.
- Enjoy your time together by having a snack, and sitting and talking with them.
- When sunny, ensure that they have sun cream & hats on, plus lots to drink.
- Avoid the hottest part of the day and very important – don’t let them stay in the sun for too long.
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use my affiliate link. Full disclosure policy here.
Gardening is for everyone, it is fun and easy with great surprises and rewards. Every garden is different. Some are small, some large, some in a yard and some on a windowsill.
By following these tips you and your friends can really have fun, while you give the environment a helping hand. Create things from items collected from nature and around the house, saving money.
Gardening fun facts for kids
- Plants actually clean the air that we breathe
- Flowers do not just look pretty but feed birds and bees with nectar
- Plants feed the world, they produce fruit, vegetables and herbs.
- The rainforest plants have medical uses and can heal without the use of modern drugs.
Tips from Dan
- On hot summer days, plants may need watering twice a day.
- The best time to water plants in the summer is early morning before the sun gets too bright, and in the evening, when the sun is setting.
- This is because plants leaves may burn if given water in the hot midday sun.
- Try not to use black plant pots in the summer because the sun will make the roots too hot.
- Don’t forget to ask your neighbours or friends to water your plants when you go away.